The City of Shawnee is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
View our Equal Employment Opportunity Plan--EEOP
Please make sure and read below under “How Do I Apply” to make sure you have filled out the correct application. Thank you!
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT APPLICANTS WHO DO NOT SUBMIT A COMPLETED APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR AN OPENING.
Job Application Forms: Best Viewed with Adobe Reader XI
IMPORTANT!! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
RIGHT CLICK ON THE APPLICATION FORM THAT YOU WANT TO USE AND SELECT SAVE TARGET AS-SAVE THE FILE LOCALLY TO YOUR COMPUTER, THEN FILL OUT THE FORM.
IF YOU ARE NOT USING ADOBE READER XI OR ADOBE ACROBAT, YOU CANNOT SAVE DATA IN THE FORM--YOU MUST USE THE SUBMIT BY EMAIL BUTTON ON THE FORM. PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME UP WHEN YOU CLICK THE BUTTON. IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH THE FORMS, PLEASE CALL 405-878-1669 OR 405-878-1626 DURING REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS, AND WE WILL TRY TO ASSIST YOU.
REMEMBER--YOUR BEST OPTION IS TO USE EITHER ADOBE ACROBAT OR ADOBE READER XI. ADOBE READER XI IS FREE ON THE INTERNET.
Download the latest version of Adobe Reader!
Regular Employee Applicants
Life Guard Applications
City of Shawnee Life Guard Application
City of Shawnee Life Guard Application-Mobile Application
Police Officer Applicants
How Do I Apply?
Are you interested in becoming a City of Shawnee employee? Listed above are the positions that are currently open with us right now. You can download the City Application by clicking its link above.
Once you have filled out the application completely, you can either mail it to the HR Department, 16 West 9th Street, Shawnee, Oklahoma 74802-1448, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to Jennifer Dawson at (405) 878-1734. If you are applying for more than one position within the City of Shawnee, a new application has to be filled out for each position.
Job descriptions are available for each position that is open. If you would like to receive notices through e-mail for position that come open with the City of Shawnee, please sign up on this webpage to receive them!
The City of Shawnee requires a pre-employment drug screen and physical for its potential employees.
General City of Shawnee Employee Information
The City of Shawnee offers positions in these categories:
- Full Time
- Part Time (averages from 20 to 29 hours a week)
- Seasonal Temporary Help (variation on the hours and type of work)
The City of Shawnee is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination because of race, sex, religion, age, national origin or disability in recruiting, hiring, training, transfers, and promotions for any and all positions with the City of Shawnee
Show Job Titles Only |
|Job Title||Building Inspector|
|Job Description||City of Shawnee
JOB TITLE: Building Inspector
DEPARTMENT: Community Development
PAY RANGE: $15.62/hour
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Chief Code Enforcement Officer
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION: Under general supervision is responsible for the inspection, review, enforcement, and conformance with building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and zoning codes. Work varies requiring individual judgment, choosing from alternatives, within prescribed standards and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Physical demands include sitting, standing, bending, walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, crawling, lifting up to 35#s (greater with assistance), and getting in and out of a vehicle;
• Work under uncontrolled weather conditions of rain, heat, and cold may be required;
• Must meet State of Oklahoma requirements for Certification as an ICC Building Code Inspector within one year of employment.
• Must be Certified as an “Unlimited” inspector in one or more trades by the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board;
• Must possess a valid Oklahoma Driver’s License.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
• Reviews building plans and permit applications for residential, commercial, and other buildings within the City for compliance with building, zoning, and related codes and ordinances;
• Issues permits related to building and construction activities within the City;
• Interprets the zoning codes;
• Visits job sites during the process of construction to observe compliance of footings, foundations, framing, plumbing, HVAC, and electrical installation, and visits again upon the completion of the construction;
• Inspects developments to ensure that the approved plans, specifications, and standards are followed meeting all federal, state, and local code regulations and requirements;
• Issues notices for correction when an inspected building does not comply with codes or ordinances;
• Issues citations and prepares reports concerning violations which have not been corrected;
• Answers inquiries from and advises the public on compliance with adopted building codes, zoning codes, and city ordinances;
• Responds to citizens complaints regarding potential code violations;
• Conducts research regarding property ownership, current and past permits and applications, and applicable codes;
• Coordinates code enforcement actions with other City departments and other governmental agencies when necessary;
• Prepares and files reports of activities, keeps accurate records of applications and inspections, submits monthly and annual reports as appropriate;
• Maintains inspection records and prepares reports for use by administrative or judicial authorities;
• Position requires substantial and frequent contact and communication with the public, developers, builders, property owners, fellow employees, and other agencies of government requiring tact and respecting confidentiality;
SUPERVISION - RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS: None required
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Graduation from high school or its equivalent; PLUS
• Five years progressive experience in the building construction industry;
• Must be a Certified ICC Building Inspector within one year of employment;
• Must be Certified as an “unlimited” Inspector in one or more trades by the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board;
• Must possess a valid Oklahoma Driver’s License and maintain a status of insurability.
EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE CRITERIA AND EXPECTATIONS:
• Visits job sites during the processes of construction to observe compliance of codes;
• May identify, evaluate, and resolve issues of unsanitary living conditions and dilapidated structures;
• Maintains and applies working knowledge of current Building Codes, construction, and design;
• Must possess the ability to work independently, take initiative, work with irate customers while maintaining a professional appearance in responding to and resolving difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints;
• Reports, records, and responds to complaints are prepared concisely and accurately;
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with developers, contractors, property owners, and the general public, and deals tactfully and fairly with each;
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as directed.
| ||Printer Friendly Version|
|Job Title||Municipal Judge|
|Job Description||The City of Shawnee is accepting applications for the part time position of Municipal Judge. This position reports directly to the Mayor and City Commission. Appointment is made by the Mayor with the consent of the City Commission. It is for a two-year term beginning July 1, 2015. The position requires that the individual be licensed to practice law in Oklahoma and be a resident of the City of Shawnee. The Judge has the power to set the schedule for the court. Salary TBD.
Please send resume.
| ||Printer Friendly Version|
City of Shawnee Personnel Department
This will add or remove you from a mail listing of the most recent City of Shawnee Job openings. An email with basic information related to the position will be generated each time a new job isposted. You will NOT receive any other email and your email address will not be used for other purposes.