Online Payments

Mobile Site
Shawnee Mobile

City Hall / 16 W 9th St

Click for Map



Frequently Asked Questions
Show All Answers Just Show Questions

Clear Search

9-1-1 Services

Q:How do I get a 9-1-1 Address?
Follow this link for more information
Dated:4/22/2004 8:36:49 AM Back to Top--^
Q:How does 9-1-1 Work?
Follow this link for the full explaination
Dated:4/22/2004 8:36:10 AM Back to Top--^
Q:What is 9-1-1?
Nine-One-One (911) is the three-digit telephone number that has been designated for public use throughout the United States to report an emergency and request emergency assistance. Emergencies usually involve police, fire or emergency medical services.

The 9-1-1 system knows what phone number is calling similar to Caller ID service. However, a database is then accessed that displays much more information to the dispatcher including the address, police, fire and medical responder information and any other special notes that might be attached to the particular phone number such as special medical or physical needs.

All NON EMERGENCY PHONE CALLS should be dialed as 405-273-2121

The ultimate goal of 9-1-1 is an easy to remember and easy to use contact number for emergency purposes. 9-1-1 is NOT INTENDED for uses such as directions, questions for Police Officers or other contacts. It is ONLY INTENDED for EMERGENCY USE.
Dated:4/22/2004 8:35:15 AM Back to Top--^
Q:What is the "Printable Pottawatomie County Street Index"?
This is an index map of all the streets, roads, drives, etc that are found within the 9-1-1 area that the City of Shawnee is responsible for managing. Driving directions from other streets can be found for each one.
Dated:4/22/2004 8:38:40 AM Back to Top--^
Q:What is the ''Online Pottawatomie County Street Index ''?
This is a searchable database of all the streets, roads, drives, etc that the City of Shawnee 9-1-1 area manages. This allows searching for a street and obtaining driving directions from other associated streets.
Dated:4/26/2004 3:51:13 PM Back to Top--^

Action Center

Q:How do I report a problem property?
The City wants to make your neighborhood a good place to live. And one way we serve neighborhoods is through the Action Center--a one-stop citizen assistance office.

You can call us at 405-878-1602 to report neighborhood problems or get information about city services.

OR you can use the ONLINE COMPLAINT SUBMISSION FORM 24 hours a day to submit a potential complaint.

When you report a problem, we notify the appropriate department to provide assistance. Then we keep track of your request until you get the service you need.

If in doubt, call the Action Center and report your concern, our Code Enforcement Officer will review the issue and take it from there.
Dated:3/11/2005 2:04:09 PM Back to Top--^
Q:How does Code Enforcement Work?
Most of the problems reported to the Action Center are handled in a similar way.

After you report the problem:

  • A Code Inspector checks to verify that there is a violation of City Ordinance.
  • The inspector notifies the property owner to correct the violation within a certain period of time. The time varies according to the violation.
  • If the owner fails to correct the problem, he can be fined up to $122 per day.
  • Dated:4/22/2004 10:28:26 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What about Garage Sales?
    Most of us love a garage or residential sale and each household can have (3) a year with a proper permit available at City Hall.

    Remember your MUST get a permit from City Hall for the residential sale BEFORE having it.

    Remember to advertise your sale with an ad in the paper or signs appropriately place on your own property.

    Garage sale signs (and other service signs) are not allowed on utility poles, traffic signal poles, medians or any public right of way.
    Dated:4/22/2004 10:29:54 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What about other code violations?
    Other Code Violations
    Illegal business operations & major auto repairs in residential areas are also code violations. Additionally RV or Motorhomes parked in front of houses blocks the view and must be properly stored. Refrigerators or appliances stored in yards must be removed and stagnant pools or areas of water create a health hazard and are in violation. If you have any doubt, call the Action Center at 405-878-1602 with your concern.
    Dated:4/22/2004 10:26:50 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What determines if my grass is too high?
    High Grass and Weeds

    Grass and weeds more than 12 inches high are a code violation.
    Exceptions: Sunflowers and wild flowers;
    also rural agricultural property zoned ''A1''
    Dated:4/22/2004 10:23:45 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is a "Dilapated Structure"?
    Unsecured Vacant Buildings and Dilapidated Structures
    If a building is vacant and open, the owner can be required to secure it. If it is dilapidated, the owner must remodel or remove it.
    If the owner fails to take action, the City can hire a contractor to secure or remove a building. The City can secure a building quickly, but it can take several months to remove a building because of the legal steps involved.
    Dated:4/22/2004 10:22:10 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is a ''Derelict Vehicle''?
    Inoperative or Derelict Cars

    The City can require property owners to remove inoperative cars from yards or driveways. But it must be obvious that the cars are not drivable. For example, if they are wrecked, or don't have wheels or an engine.

    If an abandoned car is parked on the street, the Police will tag it. If it is not moved, they will tow it away.
    Dated:4/22/2004 10:23:12 AM Back to Top--^

    Animal Shelter

    Q:Can I view shelter animals on a website?
    Yes, as of October 2014 you can view found animals on the Shawnee Online Shelter page.

    You can also visit the ARC website at

    ARC has volunteers taking pictures two to three times a week and placing them on their website for viewing.
    Dated:10/13/2014 2:48:33 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:How long will my pet be kept at the Animal Shelter?
    The Animal Control under city ordinance can hold your animal 48 hours if not licensed with the City and 96 hours if licensed.

    This is why we encourage you, if you have lost a pet, to check with Animal Control every day and check the website as well.

    Additionally, microchip scanning is performed on each animal that is brought to the Animal Shelter to help locate owners.

    Licensing your pet with the City is really like life insurance as the Animal Control officers will do everything they can to get your pet back to you!
    Dated:10/15/2014 10:35:26 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:If you have lost your pet, what should you do
    The first thing is to search your surrounding area.

    Secondly, call Animal Control or visit the page and see if your pet has been picked up.

    It is recommended that you check back with Animal Control each day
    Dated:10/13/2014 2:49:26 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What hours is the Shawnee Animal Shelter open?
    The Shawnee Animal Shelter is open from 9:00 AM. until 6:00 pm Monday through Friday AND 8am-Noon on Saturday. We are closed on Sundays and Holidays but be sure and check the website for any animal updates.
    Dated:1/20/2016 2:40:44 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What if I want to trap an animal such as a skunk
    You can check out a trap from Animal Control Monday through Thursday between 10:00 a.m. & 5:00 p.m.

    Traps have to be returned by 5:00 Thursdays and can be checked out again on Monday.

    The requirement to avoid over the weekend trapping is if an animal is captured it could be left trapped in the elements over the weekend without food or water.
    Dated:10/15/2014 10:02:54 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where can I get a license for my pet?
    Animal licenses can be purchased at the Animal Shelter at 1900 W Independence St (W Independence St and Highway 177).
    Dated:9/29/2009 2:39:33 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where is the Animal Shelter Located?
    The Animal Shelter is located at 1900 W Independence St in Shawnee. This address is slightly off as compared to the physical location of the facility which is just North of the Highway 177 and Independence area.
    Dated:2/26/2007 8:41:23 AM Back to Top--^

    CDBG Urban Renewal

    Q:CDBG Five Year Consolidated Plan FY 2010 - FY 2014
    The five year Consolidated Plan is available to the citizens of Shawnee. The Consolidated Plan describes priorities and needs for housing over five years. The Action Plan describes the actions to be taken by the Urban Renewal Authority to meet accomplishments in providing safe, decent housing within the city of Shawnee. The Consolidated Plan can be picked up at: Urban Renewal Authority, 23 E. 9th, Room 319, Shawnee OK. Contact Carla Clemons 405.878.1542 if you would like to have a copy mailed to you.
    Dated:3/2/2015 11:34:47 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:CDBG One Year Action Plan FY 2013-2014
    The One Year Action Plan FY 2013-2014 is available for pickup or mail at the Urban Renewal Authority Office. The Action Plan describes the actions to be taken by the Urban Renewal Authority to meet accomplishments in providing safe, decent housing within the city of Shawnee. The One Year Action Plan can be picked up at: Urban Renewal Authority, 23 E. 9th, Room 319, Shawnee OK. Contact Carla Clemons 405.878.1542 if you would like to have a copy mailed to you.
    Dated:3/2/2015 11:33:14 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:How do I qualify?
    To be eligible for housing repairs, the home must be in Shawnee city limits, the applicant must own and have occupied their home continuously for one (1) year.

    Total household income must fall within HUD's Median Family Income and home must have some deficiency which would pose a safety issue.
    Dated:3/2/2015 9:48:22 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What can the CDBG loans/grants be used for?
    Loan/grant money can be used to repair or replace items such as a leaky roof, plumbing problems, faulty electrical wiring, sewer lines, or heating systems.

    First Time Home Buyer program

    Demolition Loan/Grant is available for housing demolition.
    Dated:3/2/2015 11:23:11 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is a CAPER?
    A CAPER is a final year end report submitted to HUD reporting the annual activities and expenditures of the CDBG Program. This Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) covers the fiscal year FY 2010 through FY 2011.
    Dated:8/22/2011 10:52:22 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is HUD's Median Family Income?
    The Median Family Income (MFI) limits are established by HUD at the beginning of each calendar year. The income limits are used to qualify applicants for assistance. Qualified applicants must fall within 30% to 80% of the MFI limits. The following are the 2015-2016 income limits:
    30% MFI
    Emergency Assistance:
    1 person $22,600
    2 persons $25,800
    3 persons $29,050
    4 persons $32,250
    5 persons $34,850
    6 persons $37,450
    7 persons $40,000
    8 persons $42,600
    80% MFI
    Emergency Home Repair:
    1 person $36,150
    2 persons $41,300
    3 persons $46,450
    4 persons $51,600
    5 persons $55,750
    6 persons $59,900
    7 persons $64,000
    8 persons $68,150
    Total Household Income cannot exceed the above MFI limits established by HUD to qualify for all programs.
    Dated:3/12/2015 11:30:15 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is the Urban Renewal Authority and CDBG?
    The Urban Renewal Authority was enacted by Congress in 1971 and Shawnee was one of the first Cities to become and entitlement city receiving an annual allocation from the Federal government.

    CDBG stands for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). Federal funding is received from the U.S. Housing and Urban Development Office under Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974.

    Shawnee has sucessfully administered the CDBG Program for thirty four (34)years.
    Dated:2/15/2008 12:46:23 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What kinds of loans and grants are available?
    Emergency Assistance (EA) - Earned Grant:
    A five (5) year mortgage will be placed on the home and the owner(s) will earn 20% of the rehab amount each year the owner resides in the house.

    Home Repair (HR) - Grant/Loan:
    The owner will repay 50% of the rehab amount at 3% interest over a five (5) or ten (10) year period with the remaining 50% earned at a rate of 20% each year the owner resides in the house.

    First Time Home Buyer (FTHB)- Grant/Loan:
    50% of the Loan amount shall bear interest of 3% per annum, payable in a maximum of 240 equal monthly installments of principal and interest. The remaining 50% shall be paid back in the event the real property and dwelling are sold, leased, rented or if the title or possession is otherwise transferred by the owner.

    Demolition Loan/Grant:
    The Emergency Assistance shall be paid or otherwise earned as follows: 50% is a loan and will be repaid when the property is sold or title is transferred. The remaining 50% is a grant and repayment is not required.

    For Home Repair 50% is a loan and will be repaid at 3% interest over a 5 year period. The remaining 50% is a grant and repayment is not required.

    Dated:3/2/2015 11:31:35 AM Back to Top--^


    Q:Can I find where my loved ones are buried online?
    Yes, we have an extensive online lookup feature on both our main and our mobile websites. For the main page use This Main Link - For Mobile users use the mobile site at Mobile Cemetery Records.
    Dated:11/14/2013 2:56:25 PM Back to Top--^

    City Connect

    Q:!What is City Connect
    City Connect is another way the City of Shawnee Municipal government connects to it's local citizens providing information through diplays and programs. The feature program is the City Connect magazine style series presenting information about hot topics and the people of Shawnee and it's government.
    Dated:1/12/2007 9:52:23 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:!When and where does City Connect air
    The magazine style program is shown at various times through the day on Cable Channel 30. The City Commission has regular meetings on the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month unless said Monday is a holiday.
    Dated:5/28/2008 10:01:36 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:How do I know what is on Channel 30?
    The schedule is displayed throughout the day on the channel guide but you can also see any days schedule by following the Daily Schedule link on the City Connect page or following this link directly.
    Dated:5/17/2007 4:39:39 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:How do I watch City Connect on my computer
    Currently you need to have a Real Media player installed to view the shows online. You can download the player for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc from the links on the right. Windows users should use the Real Alternative player as it is smaller and easier to use.
    Dated:1/24/2007 3:24:59 PM Back to Top--^

    City Government

    Q:Can I see the Commission Meetings online?
    Yes, the meetings are published on the City of Shawnee web site usually within two (2) working days after the actual meeting. Visit the link here to view a listing of the meetings available online.
    Dated:12/20/2006 3:12:14 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Can I watch the meetings on TV?
    Yes, if you are a local cable TV subscriber the meetings are broadcast live on Channel 30 for each regularly scheduled meeting. Additionally the meetings can be viewed on your computer using a Real Media based player.
    Dated:12/20/2006 3:11:16 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:How can I review the City Charter?
    The City Charter is included at the beginning of the City Codebook. The charter can be veiwed online via the Online Codebook page. Click the link for more information.
    Dated:4/3/2007 11:37:37 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Is the City of Shawnee a "Strong Mayor" City?
    No, the City of Shawnee utilizes a City Manager that is hired at the discretion of the City Council. The City Manager handles the day to day operations and directs all other staff. The Mayor doe not participate in day to day operations beyond any interactions with the City Manager.
    Dated:4/22/2004 9:29:59 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:When does the City Commission Meet?
    As of January 2007 the City Commission meets on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month starting at 6:30pm. Meetings are held in the City of Shawnee City Hall Commission Chambers located at 16 W 9th Street.
    Dated:12/20/2006 3:10:19 PM Back to Top--^

    Emergency Management

    Q:How do I register my storm shelter?
    Storm shelters can be registered by calling 405-878-1650 with your information.
    Dated:4/9/2014 10:13:05 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is the Storm Shelter Registration Program?
    The Shawnee/Pottawatomie County Emergency Management Agency announced an initiative on Friday, June 8, 2001 to catalog the location of all residential safe rooms and underground shelters in Pottawatomie County. This is a voluntary program that will provide a list of the location of shelters to assist fire and rescue personnel in the event of a tornado.

    “By submitting information to us, citizens will be assisting us in developing a list of these shelter locations which will be given to the fire departments to assist them in finding these shelters that may be covered in debris, resulting in faster and more efficient rescue efforts.” Donald Lynch, Emergency Management Director said.

    The inspiration for this program came from a similar program recently announced in Midwest City. Many residents will remember seeing the piles of debris around homes affected by the May 3, 1999 tornadoes. Fire and rescue personnel spent a good deal of time searching through debris looking for victims who might have been trapped in underground shelters. Having experienced the brunt of the tornado, Midwest City developed a registration program to assist their personnel with easily locating these shelters in case of future tornadoes. “When we heard about the Midwest City program, we thought a similar program would be of great benefit to our county. A couple of days later, Mrs. Betty Rogers called and asked if we had heard about the program. She thought is was a great idea also and volunteered to assist us with the project.” Lynch said.

    “We’re delighted that Mrs. Rogers will be assisting us with this project. She will be very helpful to this effort.” Lynch commented.
    Dated:4/19/2004 1:58:10 PM Back to Top--^

    Finance Department

    Q:How is the 3% sales tax revenue allocated within the City's budget?
    Of the three cent tax, two cents is allocated to the General Fund. The remaing one cent is divided among Capital Improvement, Street Improvement, Economic Developement,Police and Fire.
    Dated:2/4/2009 9:13:21 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is the sales tax rate for the City of Shawnee?
    The sales tax rate for the City of Shawnee is 8.5% on each dollar. The State of Oklahoma receives 4.5%, the City of Shawnee receives 3% and Pottawatomie County receives the remaining 1%. This means three cents of every dollar spent in Shawnee provides funds for operation of the city.
    Dated:2/4/2009 9:02:22 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What type of Accounting Structure does the City use?
    The City of Shawnee uses a Fund Accounting structure. This is standard for Municipalities in Oklahoma and around the country. Funds are 'segregated self-balancing set of accounts for recording assets, revenues, liabilities, and expenses for a specific activity' that allow tracking of assets, liabilities, revenues and expenditures or expense for key areas of City operation.
    Dated:1/30/2009 1:45:24 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What type of Fiscal Year does the City operate around?
    The City of Shawnee uses a standard Fiscal Year of July 1 to June 30. This is the most common fiscal year for Oklahoma Cities although some have chosen to match the calendar year.
    Dated:6/6/2006 6:43:57 PM Back to Top--^

    Fire Department

    Q:How can I find out how close a fire hydrant is to my home or business?
    Use the Online Fire Hydrant lookup site to check for local hydrants. You can enter the address of your home or business in the Shawnee city limits and see any hydrants within 1000 feet of the pinned address.
    Dated:12/3/2014 12:05:32 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is the Mission of the Shawnee Fire Department
    The mission of the shawnee fire department is to provide quality protection of life, property, and the environment to our community, through effective response, prevention, building and preparedness programs and customer service, while maintaining a high level of employee safety and professionalism.
    Dated:4/19/2004 4:54:50 PM Back to Top--^

    Human Resources

    Q:Can I just submit my application/resume for when something becomes available?
    We do not accept applications without there being an open position.
    Dated:11/7/2007 3:47:05 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:How do I apply for a job with the City?
    Jobs are posted after a request has been received from the department indicating they will have a vacancy. The open position is opened and able to accept applications/resumes. Jobs with the City have open and closing dates. When the position has closed, the application/resumes are reviewed and applicants are selected for the interview process.
    Dated:2/4/2008 9:30:42 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:How do I get an interview?
    All applications received while the vacancy is posted are reviewed and the selected candidates are contacted for testing or an interview.
    Dated:2/4/2008 9:24:37 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:How long do you keep an application on file?
    We keep submitted/reviewed applications on file for 60 days.
    Dated:11/7/2007 3:29:06 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Once I have applied for a position, will I be contacted?
    You will be contacted by phone if you are chosen for an interview or testing. If you are not selected, either initially or after an interview or testing, we will send a letter stating that you are not longer being considered.
    Dated:2/4/2008 9:12:35 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What benefits does the City provide?
    The City offers its employees many benefits including but not limited to: Holidays/Vacations/Sick Leave, Medical Insurance with choice of 3 plans, Optional Dental and Vision coverage, and Life Insurance. Retirement plans are based on employee classifications.
    Dated:11/7/2007 4:29:04 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What happens once the department has made a decision on who they would like to hire?
    Once an applicant has been selected, the Human Resources Department will call and make them a contingent job offer. The applicant will then be scheduled for a pre-employment drug screen, and possibly a physical or other tests as required for the position. If all testing is satisfactory, the department will contact the applicant, and a start date will be determined.
    Dated:2/4/2008 9:32:10 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where do I find job applications?
    Applications can be downloaded on line at the Human Resources website page or picked up at City Hall.
    Dated:2/4/2008 9:14:54 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where is the Human Resources Office located?
    The Human Resources Office is located in City Hall room 242.
    Dated:2/4/2008 9:03:24 AM Back to Top--^

    Information Systems

    Q:How do I report something is inaccurate on the website?
    Errors, broken links or other inaccuracies on the website can be reported using the 'Comments?' link in the left toolbar. The link will report the page currently being viewed and allows for comments to be added in regard to the detailed information. The more detailed the comments are the faster Information Systems can correct any errors.
    Dated:6/6/2006 6:27:04 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What does ''Information Systems'' department do?
    The Information Systems department is responsible for all the Information Technology equipment, operations and support within the City operations. This includes all servers, desktop computers, remote Wide Area Network (WAN) locations, associate fiber connections, mobile data systems, and the various software utilized throughout the City for each department. The IS department provides all maintenance and support for printers, toner and ink request and manages the associated City web sites as well.
    Dated:4/22/2004 10:12:44 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Who manages the website?
    Both the Systems Administrator and the Software Support Specialist have extensive web development experience in both PHP and ASP coding. All content and development up through January 2006 has been implemented by the Systems Administrator. The website is due for a makeover in the near future.
    Dated:6/6/2006 6:25:32 PM Back to Top--^

    Municipal Court

    Q:Can I pay my ticket online?
    Yes, you can pay for your citation online via the City of Shawnee's online payment site. Follow the link below or go to to pay your ticket.
    Dated:1/27/2016 1:57:12 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Can I pay with my Credit Card?
    Yes, the Shawnee Municipal Court department takes Visa and Mastercard payments in person or over the phone. We do only accept Visa and Mastercard however.
    Dated:6/7/2006 11:21:46 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:How many citations or tickets do officers write?
    Officers write tickets or citations based on the activity they observe. During local or national safety awareness promotions, officers may write more tickets for particular areas of infractions. For historical counts and charts of the citations written, use the Police Data Chart Maker
    Dated:6/7/2006 11:28:32 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What happens if I do not pay my ticket?
    If you fail to pay your citation a warrant may be issued for your arrest. The City of Shawnee utilizing a Warrant Officer to follow and serve outstanding City warrants. You'll also end up in the ONLINE WARRANTS LISTING.
    Dated:6/7/2006 11:23:03 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What Payment Methods Do You Accept?
    The City of Shawnee Municipal Court accepts payments in the form of cash, MasterCard, Visa, credit/debit cards, money orders, or cashiers checks. Sorry, we DO NOT take personal checks.
    Dated:1/27/2016 1:52:31 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where do I pay a ticket?
    Citations issued by the City of Shawnee for Shawnee Municipal Court can be paid at City Hall located at 16 W 9th St in Shawnee. The court department is located in the southwest corner of the main lobby in City Hall.
    Dated:4/22/2004 8:18:54 AM Back to Top--^


    Q:Do we have an Adopt-A-Street Program in Shawnee?
    Yes, the Parks Division oversees the City's Adopt-A-Street project. For more information see the Adopt-A-Street Page.
    Dated:6/18/2012 2:45:57 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where can I find a list and map of Shawnee Parks
    Thanks to the volunteers at a listing of Shawnee parks along with photos, descriptions and maps are available on their website. Click the link for more information!
    Dated:11/13/2013 12:40:08 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Who oversees the operation and maintenance of our parks?
    The Director of Operations is responsible for the Parks Division, Cemetery Division, Equipment Maintenance and the Building Maintenance divisions of the City of Shawnee. You can contact the Operations director by email Using this Link
    Dated:4/4/2012 3:44:43 PM Back to Top--^

    Police Department

    Q:How do I get an Accident Report Form?
    You can access recent accident reports on our Online Accident Report form page. You simply need to know the Date of the accident and either the accident #, or the last name or date of birth of someone involved in the accident.
    Dated:11/25/2013 11:16:46 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What if I know about a crime or a criminal?
    The City of Shawnee Police Department is always eager to receive information about criminal activity in the City. We offer our 24 hour CrimwStoppers hotline at 405-273-0989 for such tips, email or use the CrimeStoppers web page linked here.
    Dated:6/15/2005 11:41:14 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What if my car was impounded?
    Impounded vehicles may be released from the records division located in the basement of Police Headquarters. Title or registration is required, as well as a valid drivers license.
    Information Desk Phone: 405-878-1691 Hours are M-F 8-5 Not open on holidays. There is a $100.00 impound release fee.
    Dated:7/5/2013 11:50:25 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is COMPSTAT?
    CompStat is a process, not a computer program. Generally the acronym stands for Comparative Statistics or Computer Statistics. It is a process of applying four key principles that use technology such as mapping, charting, and statistical analysis, as a tool for targeting crime and applying officer resources based on the intelligence gathered through the technology.

    For more information about CompStat, click the link provided.
    Dated:12/2/2005 9:40:17 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is the Citizens Police Academy?
    The Shawnee Police Department Citizen Police Academy is a 12-week block of instruction. It is designed to give the public an overview of the police department and rules governing police activities. It is also designed to create a two-way communication between citizens and officers. The academy dates and times will be announced.
    Dated:12/11/2006 4:42:11 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What number do I call for non-emergency reports?
    Non-emergency reports can often be made over the phone by calling 405-273-2121. This is the non-emergency 911 line.
    Dated:4/16/2004 3:59:24 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:When are quite hours for Shawnee
    The Courts have deemed night time hours as 10:00pm to 6:00am. An person can or may have their peace disturbed anytime of the day depending on the circumstances of a situation or incident – the officer would have to verify the circumstances and the person would have to be willing to sign a complaint and testify in court.
    Dated:7/5/2013 11:45:59 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where can I get a copy of a report?
    Reports can be obtained from the Records Bureau, located in the basement of Police Headquarters. There may be minimal fees involved for obtaining reports.
    Dated:4/16/2004 4:00:35 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where do I call if I have information on a crime, but want to stay anonymous?
    You can call (405) 273-0989, which is the Shawnee Police Department Police Anonymous hotline or email CrimeTips (At) You can also use the CrimeStoppers tip form located on the Shawnee CrimeStoppers website. Click the link shown here.
    Dated:6/15/2005 4:36:15 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where do I go to pay a ticket?
    Municipal tickets and citations can be paid in person or by mail at the Municipal Courthouse. It is located on the ground floor above the Police Department. Located at 16 W 9th Shawnee, OK 74801. The phone number is (405) 878-1624

    You can also pay your municipal citation online through the Shawnee Online Payment Site 24/7.
    Dated:1/19/2009 11:50:05 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where is the County Courthouse?
    The County Courthouse is located at 325 N Broadway, Shawnee, OK 74801 CLICK FOR MAP
    Dated:6/15/2005 4:44:07 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where is the jail located?
    The Pottawatomie County Safety Center is located on Highway 177 and Acme Road northwest of Shawnee. Phone number is (405) 273-0043. Click the link for a map. Click for Map
    Dated:1/19/2009 11:51:15 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where is the Police Department located?
    The Shawnee Police Department is located at 16 W 9th St in Shawnee, Oklahoma. The main desk is down the stairs on the North side of the main lobby. Click for map
    Dated:6/15/2005 4:44:48 PM Back to Top--^

    Public Works

    Q:??What happened to the Public Works Department??
    In early 2005, the Public Works Division was reorganized to provide more efficient operations and use of staff.

    The Utility related functions, including Water Production, Water Distribution, Sewer Collection, the two Waste Water Treatment plants and solid waste collection were consolidated under the operations of a new Utilities Director position.

    The Streets and Traffic Control divisions were re-organized and moved under the Engineering department to allow consolidation of new street construction, street maintenance and traffic control.

    The Parks and Cemetery divisions were re-organized and moved under the Planning department which has historically been responsible for creating new parks and recreation for the City.

    For practical purposes the ''Public Works'' Department no longer exists as the various departments and duties have been re-organized under differing areas.
    Dated:3/22/2005 4:59:12 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:How do I contact the Public Works department?
    A list of contact information is provided here on the web site. The location is in the link below.
    Dated:4/22/2004 9:13:06 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:How do I report a street light that is out or damaged?
    The City of Shawnee pays for street lighting across the City but does not manage or replace street light bulbs. This is provided by the particular electric utility provider in the area, which in most cases is OG&E. To report a burned out or damaged street light, please call OG&E at 1-800-522-6870 to report the problem. Be sure you have the closest address to the particular pole to report to them. They will advise if the area is not in their service area.
    Dated:12/30/2015 8:36:18 AM Back to Top--^


    Q:Can I choose joint and survivor options at any time during employment?
    In order to choose the joint and survivor option you must meet the definition of Normal Retirement, then you can choose this option by completing a form. If you complete the form, it would better protect your spouse in the event you die as an active employee. Your spouse would typically get a greater pension and it would be payable for their lifetime with no remarriage clause. If you do not complete the form, the Spouse’s pension will be payable. Prior to your actual retirement you can change or revoke this election.
    Dated:10/1/2008 10:53:32 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Can the plan pay a minor child as a beneficiary?
    No we cannot pay a minor child. You certainly can name a trust, if you have established one. But otherwise, please name primary and contingent beneficiaries that are at least 18 years old.
    Dated:10/1/2008 10:50:27 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:If I am retired and receiving my pension check, does anyone get my retirement after I die?
    That depends on what you have chosen at retirement.

    • If you choose an unreduced pension and do not provide for your spouse, you will receive a pension check for your lifetime. However, if you die before being paid the number of years certain, we will pay your beneficiary the remaining years.

    • If you chose to cover your spouses and receive a reduced check to cover both lifetimes, your spouse will continue to get a monthly check based on the selection you made. Your choices are: 50%, 66,2/3rds or 100% coverage. Remember, Benefit estimates are available on our website simply follow the steps outlined through OMRF or request an estimate through your local Authorized Agent.
    Dated:10/1/2008 10:55:13 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:If I die as an active employee who gets my retirement?
    There are three different answers depending on the situation.

    • If you are not vested, your named beneficiary will receive your employee contributions, if any, plus interest.

    • If you are vested and married, your spouse will receive a Spouse’s pension (regardless of who you have named as beneficiary) equal to 50% of your accrued benefit for lifetime or until remarriage.

    • If you are vested and not married, your named beneficiary will receive 50% of your accrued benefit at the time of your death for the number of years certain.
    Dated:10/1/2008 10:52:05 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:If I selected 66 2/3rds joint and survivor, will my pension be reduced if my spouse dies before me?
    Yes, this is the only joint and survivor option that would reduce your monthly check if your spouse dies first. The other joint and survivor options (100% or 50%) are not tied to your spouse’s death and your check will continue unaffected.
    Dated:10/1/2008 10:53:50 AM Back to Top--^


    Q:How does the automated polycart system work?
    Polycarts are for residential use. If a resident moves they must leave their polycart or they will be charged for it.
    There is no charge for the first polycart. If you need a second polycart, there will be an additional charge, contact Customer Service for the current rate. The charge will be placed on your water bill. Contact Customer Service to order extra polycarts at 405 878-1560.

    If you are physically unable to handle the polycart and need help, please contact Central Disposal at 405 275-0900. They will ask you to submit a Doctor's note stating that you are physically unable to take the polycart to the curb, and they will pick it up house-side.

    On collection day, the polycart should be placed in the proper location in front of your house by 7am. Place the polycart with the handle away from the curb. You may remove your polycart after the garbage has been collected by 5pm.

    Do not put your polycart next to a mailbox or within 12 feet of a parked car. Remember, the idea is that an automated arm will grab the polycart and empty it. No one wants it grabbing something else.

    Do not put your polycart in the alley or back of your house. Alleyway's are too narrow and dangerous for the automated trucks.

    For any questions please call Central Disposal at 405 275-5854.
    Dated:4/13/2017 11:22:20 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:I have just setup service what day will my new polycart be delivered?
    Your polycart should be delivered to you by the end of the day you started your water/trash service. If you do not receive your polycart that day, please call Central Disposal at 275-5854.
    Dated:7/7/2010 9:21:20 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:I need to order an extra polycart, who do I call? What day will I get it?
    If you need an extra polycart, please call customer service at 878-1560. They will contact Central Disposal to have them deliver you an extra polycart. Extra polycarts are delivered on Wednesdays. If you do not receive your extra polycart on the Wednesday following the day you setup your order with Customer Service, please call Central Disposal at 275-0900.
    Dated:4/13/2017 11:23:51 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:I received house side service due to a disability, will Central Disposal provide as well?
    “Handicap stickers will be placed on eligible carts on your first day of service starting July 1st, 2010. Central Disposal has a list of current residents that use the house side service. If a customer is new to the area or otherwise needs house side service, he or she will need a doctor’s note detailing the need. Please contact Central Disposal at (405) 275-5854 for any questions.
    Dated:6/29/2010 3:07:25 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What day will my yard waste be picked up?
    Yard waste will be picked up on the same schedule as bulk waste.
    The schedule, by day and area, is as follows:
    Monday — South of Independence and west of Union;
    Tuesday — South of Independence and east of Union;
    Wednesday — Shawnee Lake area;
    Thursday — North of Independence and east of Union; and
    Friday — North of Independence and west of Union.
    Dated:6/28/2010 11:27:51 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is the schedule for curbside bulk waste pick-up?
    Bulk waste will be collected the first full calendar week of the month. Yard waste will be picked up on the same schedule.
    The schedule, by day and area, is as follows:
    Monday — South of Independence and west of Union;
    Tuesday — South of Independence and east of Union;
    Wednesday — Shawnee Lake area;
    Thursday — North of Independence and east of Union; and
    Friday — North of Independence and west of Union.

    For any questions please call Central Disposal at (405) 275-0900.
    Dated:4/13/2017 11:20:29 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What should I do if my navy blue Central Disposal polycart hasn’t been delivered?
    Contact Central Disposal at (405) 275-0900 and they will deliver one out to you. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be their missed polycart days.
    Dated:4/13/2017 11:20:55 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:When is my Polycart picked up each week?
    Automated polycart pickup is based on the service area for your address. You can access Google Maps or Google Earth links to see how the areas are laid out. Please see below for a map of the service area.
    Dated:6/28/2010 11:35:48 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Who do I call if I have a trash complaint?
    The City of Shawnee contracts with Central Disposal for all residential solid waste collection. Please contact them directly at 405-275-5854 with questions related to service. For sanitation billing issues or to order trash service/polycarts please contact utility billing at 405-878-1560. For unresolved issues please contact Mark Flores at 405-214-4253.
    Dated:4/13/2017 3:36:49 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Who do I contact if I have a question or complaint about my trash service?
    The City of Shawnee has a contract with Central Disposal, for any question or complaints please call them at (405) 275-0900. To order an extra polycart, please contact our customer service department at (405)878-1560.
    Dated:4/13/2017 11:23:04 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Who provides the sanitation or trash pickup for Shawnee?
    As of July 1, 2010 Central Disposal has the contract for sanitaiton services with the City of Shawnee. You can contact Central Disposal at (405)275-0900.
    Dated:4/13/2017 10:59:21 AM Back to Top--^

    Utility Department

    Q:!! City Takes Comprehensive Approach as it Plans for Critical Infrastructure Improvements !!
    City Takes Comprehensive Approach as it Plans for Critical Infrastructure Improvements

    The City of Shawnee recently underwent an analysis of current and future needs while preparing a long-range water and sewer capital improvement plan. Implementation of this plan will ensure that residents and customers continue to have access to clean water and an exceptional wastewater disposal system. It will also provide for future commercial, residential and industrial growth. The planned improvements are highlighted herein.

    The first proposed project includes construction of a new 30-inch raw waterline from Shawnee Twin Lakes to the water treatment plant (a distance of 9.5 miles), which is estimated at $13.5 million. Other projects include replacement of pumps and controls for $1.5 million and intake valves at lake #2 for $450,000. These are especially critical needs as the principal water delivery system for the City and our customers. This new primary line will replace the original line constructed in the 1930s which is no longer in use. The waterline used at present dates to the 1960s and will remain available as a backup delivery source.

    Other proposed improvements include required upgrades to the north-side wastewater treatment plant, south-side wastewater treatment plant and the water treatment plant. Construction of an additional water tower, improvements to the Atoka Waterline and several other projects are also planned. All told, $55 million in improvements are proposed. While these projects are not very visible, they are essential to Shawnee residents and represent the most significant series of system upgrades in decades.

    As a result of the above-noted infrastructure needs, there is a planned water/sewer rate increase that may be implemented as soon as late-2009. For the average residential customer who uses 5,000 gallons of water per month, the expected combined water/sewer rate increase is $7.73 per month in the first year. We understand that increased rates can be frustrating. However, the proposed improvements are absolutely necessary to maintain and improve the systems that we all rely on everyday. Utility rates pay for the delivery of clean drinking water and the removal of wastewater and sewage, including the construction, operation, and maintenance of all utilities and associated infrastructure.

    We would like to thank Shawnee residents for their patience and understanding during the coming months. This planned investment in our infrastructure system will ensure that the City will be able to provide exceptional service indefinitely, while preserving and improving the quality of life residents enjoy. It is a pleasure to serve you.

    For the official press release click here
    Dated:8/17/2009 2:03:54 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Are deposit(s) required for Water or Wastewater Services?
    Yes, effective May 1st, 2015, Residential customers must provide a deposit of $100 if the address is owner occupied or $125 for renter occupied homes. Commercial deposits vary depending upon the type of customer and projected water/wastewater usage projections. There is an additional $25 deposit for trash service for residential customers. Contact customer service for more information on Commercial deposits.
    Dated:5/4/2015 11:42:45 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Can I pay my utility bill automatically?
    Yes, the City of Shawnee offers our Automated Bill Payment program allowing you to have your utility bill automatically deducted from your bank account avoiding the need to write a check monthly or find the time to get to City Hall. Contact Customer Service for more information the required paperwork.
    Dated:4/20/2004 11:01:11 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Can I pay my utility bill Online?
    Yes, the City of Shawnee offers online utility and citation payments through our online payment site at http://www. There are no convenience fees assessed for online payments.
    Dated:7/27/2016 9:54:46 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Do you charge a penalty if I pay my bill late?
    Yes, if a bill is not paid on or before the due date, a 10% penalty is applied to the BILL AMOUNT with a minimum of $1.25 being applied.
    Dated:4/20/2004 11:01:16 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What about any Water Meter or Water Tap Requirements?
    See the WATER TAP REQUIREMENTS section of the web site for more detail on the Water Meter and Water Tap requirements.
    Dated:4/20/2004 11:04:32 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What are your office hours?
    The City of Shawnee Customer Service department is open from 8:00-4:30pm Monday through Friday and we ARE open during the Noon hour.
    Dated:2/7/2012 1:22:21 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What happens if I do not pay my utility bill?
    Water will be shut off without further notice if your bill remains unpaid past the CUTOFF day as determined by the cutoff notice and will not be turned on again until all balances in arrear are paid in full. Additionally if you do not pay your bill BEFORE the cutoff day, a $50 administrative fee will be assessed per City ordinances.
    Dated:4/20/2006 7:09:27 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is required to get utility service with the City of Shawnee?
    For water/wastewater/sanitation service with the City of Shawnee, an application must be completed in the Customer Service department in City Hall located at 16 W 9th St.
    Dated:4/20/2004 11:01:22 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where do I pay my water bill?
    Your water/wastewater/sanitation bill can be paid in person at the inside Customer Service window in City Hall located at 16 W 9th St, by using the night drop located in the old drive through on the north side of City Hall, by postal mail to CITY OF SHAWNEE, PO BOX 1448, SHAWNEE OK 74802-1448, online at, or at the kiosks located in the Tag Agency of Shawnee at 301 W Highland and Homeland Stores at Independence and Kickapoo or Independence and MacArthur.
    Dated:4/2/2014 2:33:55 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Who do I call for emergency after hours or weekends?
    During periods after 5:00pm to 8:00am and on weekends, the emergency number is 405-273-0890.
    Dated:4/20/2004 11:00:36 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Who do I call for sanitation/garbage service problems?
    The City of Shawnee contracts with Central Disposal for all residential solid waste collection. Please contact them directly at 405-275-0900 with questions related to service. For sanitation billing issues or to order trash service/polycarts please contact utility billing at 405-878-1560. For unresolved issues please contact Mark Flores at 405-214-4253.
    Dated:4/13/2017 11:05:51 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Who do I make my check out to for my utility payment?
    All checks should be made payable to the ''City of Shawnee''''.
    Dated:4/2/2014 12:08:22 PM Back to Top--^

    Water Treatment

    Q:Can pregnant women drink chloraminated water?
    Yes. Everyone can drink water that contains chloramines.
    Dated:10/30/2007 3:42:35 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Can you safely wash an open wound with chloraminated water?
    Yes. It is safe to use chloraminated water in cleaning an open wound because virtually no
    water actually enters the bloodstream that way.
    Dated:10/30/2007 3:43:02 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Can you safely water plants, vegetables or fruit and nut trees with chloraminated water?
    Yes. The small amount of chloramines in the water should have no effect on plants of any type.
    Dated:10/30/2007 4:00:33 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Chloramine Public Notice March 7, 2007
    For many years, public water systems have added Chloramines to drinking water as a primary or secondary disinfectant. This is because of concerns of formation of disinfection by-product as the result of using free chlorine. The City of Shawnee is conducting a pilot study to evaluate the viability of using Chloramines as post oxidant...
    Dated:4/6/2007 5:52:06 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Do I need to buy a water softener?
    Some companies sell ''water softeners'' to reduce the hardness of the water. The softener's purpose is to improve the aesthetics or ''feel'' of the water. Hard water contains high concentration of calcium compounds. The calcium in the water can deposit on faucets and shower curtains as a heavy white residue (which is most easily cleaned with a rag soaked in vinegar). Shawnee's drinking water hardness fluctuates throughout the year between 75 to 100 parts per million or 4.3 to 6.0 grains per gallon (one grain per gallon equals 17.24 parts per million). Water is considered ''hard water'' above 250 parts per million. Therefore, residents on Shawnee's water supply have soft water, and do not need a softener. By the way, even hard water is fine to use and drink without a softener.
    Dated:5/6/2004 9:49:55 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:How do I know that my water is safe to drink?
    Shawnee Water Treatment Plant has trained laboratory technicians and uses the service of the ODEQ Environmental Services Laboratory to analyze the quality of the water. Personnel from the lab monitor water quality at the water plant and at homes and businesses around the city to make sure that the water is safe to drink. Sampling and analysis is done continually throughout the year to make certain that the water meets or exceeds all E.P.A. and ODEQ quality standards
    Dated:5/6/2004 9:49:15 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:How much fluoride is added to the water?
    Currently we do not add flouride to the water.
    Dated:8/19/2009 3:37:02 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:If chloramines are harmful to fish, how can people safely drink the water?
    Chloraminated water is no different than chlorinated water for all of the normal uses we have for water. Water that contains chloramines is totally safe to drink. The digestive process neutralizes the chloramines before they reach the bloodstream. Even kidney patients can drink and bathe in chloraminated water.
    Dated:10/30/2007 3:42:16 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What about the 2012 Yield Study?
    In 2011-2012 the City of Shawnee (City) contracted with CDM Smith to evaluate its three municipal water supply reservoirs: Twin Lakes #1 and #2 (collectively called Twin Lakes) and Wes Watkins Reservoir. The primary purpose of this project is to establish the expected water supply capacity from each reservoir when operated individually and when operated as part of a complete water supply system. Other project tasks included evaluation of each reservoir's watershed and development of drought management plan. This report documents the methods and results of the hydrologic assessment and provides recommendations for future actions.

    For the purpose of this study, firm yield is defined as the average daily withdrawal from a water supply system that can be sustained through the available record of inflows without entirely depleting the system storage. The available record of inflows (1953 to 2011) includes the drought of record which is defined as the period July 1954 to April 1957. This analysis was conducted in accordance with the guidelines established in the 2012 update to the Oklahoma Comprehensive Water Plan (OCWP). Hydrologic estimates of streamflow for both of the ungaged contributing watersheds within the system were generated using transposition by area ratio method and a dynamic simulation model was used to simulate the drawdown and recovery of the multiple reservoirs.

    The firm yield estimates for the Twin Lakes (in this study, Twin Lake #1 and Twin Lake #2 were modeled as a single reservoir with two connected volumes as described in Section 6.1) and Wes Watkins are presented in Table 1‐1. The table lists the firm yield of the reservoirs operating individually, and also conjunctively, in the preferred operating mode of balancing water surface elevation and constraining withdrawals to permit allowances.

    Read more about the study and download the document by following the provided link.
    Dated:4/9/2012 1:40:27 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What about water rationing?
    Water conservation and rationing falls under the ordinance passed on April 17th, 2006. The ordinance provides the City Manager with authorization and direction to declare the emergency and authorize rationing as needed. The water conservation plan as outlined in this ordinance can be viewed on the WATER CONSERVATION PLAN PAGE.
    Dated:4/25/2006 10:25:33 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What are Chloramines?
    Chloramines, also known as combined chlorine, are a combination of chlorine and ammonia compounds which are used to kill potentially harmful bacteria in water.
    Dated:10/30/2007 3:40:06 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What are the major benefits associated with chloramination?
    Better disinfection in the remote areas of the water system, therefore making the water safer to drink. Chloramines greatly reduce objectionable taste and odor in the water. Chloramines have been found to be very effective at reducing levels of by-products that are normally formed with free chlorine.
    Dated:10/30/2007 3:44:12 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What do I do if my water does not flow?
    If your water unexpectedly stops, there may be a break in the underground line near your house. Crews can he reached 24 hours a day to fix broken water lines. During business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. contact Line Maintenance at 273-1960. After hours contact the Water Treatment Plant at 273-0890. Crews will be sent to repair the line.
    Dated:5/6/2004 9:49:22 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What is the metal content of the water?
    Shawnee water is surprisingly low in dissolved metals. The lake water contains negligible amounts (much less than 100 parts per billion) of Silver, Arsenic, Barium, Beryllium, Cadmium, Chromium, Copper, Mercury, Nickel, Lead, Thallium, Selenium, and Antimony. Small amounts (less than 5 parts per million) of naturally occurring Aluminum, Iron, Manganese Sodium, and Zinc are also present in the lake water. The treatment process removes nearly all of these metals from the drinking water. The metals content in the drinking water is always in compliance with E.P.A. guidelines.
    Dated:5/6/2004 9:50:01 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:What special precautions should fish owners take with chloraminated water?
    Chloramines are toxic to fish, reptiles, turtles and amphibians, just as chlorine is toxic and must be removed. Chloramines can be removed from the water by using a water conditioner containing a dechlorinator or by using granular activated carbon.
    Dated:10/30/2007 4:01:53 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:What special precautions should kidney dialysis patients take with chloraminated water?
    Chlorine and chloramines must be removed from the water used in kidney dialysis machines. There are two methods to accomplish this, by adding ascorbic acid or by using granular activated carbon treatment. Medical centers that perform dialysis are responsible for purifying the water that enters the dialysis machines. Dialysis systems already pre-treat their source water to remove chlorine. However some modifications may be necessary to remove the chloramines.
    Dated:10/30/2007 4:02:21 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where do I find the Consumer Confidence Reports for each year?
    The Consumer Confidence Reports (CCR) are published as provided from the Utility division on the Publications and Presentations page of the Water/Wastewater system. Follow the link to view past and present reports.
    Dated:5/17/2006 11:37:02 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Where does my water come from?
    All of Shawnee’s water comes from the Shawnee Twin Lakes and Wes Watkins Reservoir. It flows by gravity from the lakes to the water treatment plant where it undergoes aggressive treatment to remove all particulates and is chlorinated to destroy any pathogens. The water is then pumped to water towers around the city and it flows by gravity to your home. The water treatment plant can treat 8.7 million gallons per day to replenish water as it is used by residents, businesses and industries.
    Dated:5/6/2004 9:49:04 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Why are chloramines a problem for kidney dialysis patients and aquarium owners?
    Chloramines are harmful when they go directly into the bloodstream. In the dialysis process, water comes in contact with the blood across a permeable membrane. Chloramines in dialysis water would be toxic, just as chlorine in dialysis water would be toxic. Fish also take chloramines directly into their bloodstreams.
    Dated:10/30/2007 3:40:29 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Why does my water sometime taste or smell like swimming pool water
    Chlorine is added to the drinking water as a disinfectant (required by Federal Law). The amount added is only enough to ensure that the water at your house is free of bacteria and parasites. Usually, this amount is about 1 milligram of chlorine for each liter of water (1 part chlorine per million parts of water). A slight chlorine odor or no odor indicates that the chlorine is working properly as a disinfectant. Some customers buy sink filters to remove the chlorine for taste reasons. This is fine, but do not let the filtered water set too long since it no longer has its disinfecting abilities.
    Dated:8/19/2009 3:39:55 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Why does my water sometimes look brown?
    Brown water occurs when normal sediments in the water lines become agitated. Agitation can occur when the lines are turned off for repairs or when a line breaks. The brown color is from iron (rust) particles that come off the pipes with age. Although it is undesirable, the water is safe to drink. The color can stain white clothes in the washing machine. Try to eliminate the brown color by running your cold water for 15 to 20 minutes (run from an outside faucet). If the color does not go away, contact line maintenance and they will send a worker out to flush the brown water out of the lines at a nearby fire hydrant.
    Dated:5/6/2004 9:49:30 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Why does my water sometimes look ''milky'' or ''cloudy''?
    Cloudy water is usually the result of dissolved air in the water lines. Air may be introduced into the lines as a result of line repairs or fire hydrant operations. This condition is usually temporary, although it may take several hours for the air to dissipate in the lines. To check if the cloudy water is due to dissolved air, fill a glass with water and leave it on a counter for a few minutes. The water should become clear again. Cloudy water of this type is safe to use.
    Dated:5/6/2004 9:49:42 AM Back to Top--^
    Q:Will chloramines be removed by boiling the water?
    No. Boiling is not an effective method of removing chloramines from water.
    Dated:10/30/2007 3:43:53 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Will chloramines dissipate, or dissolve, out of the water?
    No. Unlike chlorine, which dissipates when water sits for a few days, chloramines may take weeks to dissipate.
    Dated:10/30/2007 3:43:39 PM Back to Top--^
    Q:Will there be any noticeable changes with chloraminated water?
    When the chloraminated water first flushes out the chlorinated water there may be a slight taste and odor, and possibly discoloration for a short period of time. This will not compromise the safety of the water. Try running your water taps for a few minutes to flush it out.
    Dated:10/30/2007 4:03:10 PM Back to Top--^