Frequently Asked Questions
How do I start new water/wastewater/santitation service?
An application must be completed and delivered to the Utility Billing Customer Service Department at City Hall in person or by email (please see FAQ- "Do you accept applications to start water/wastewater/sanitation service by email" for instructions for the email option). We are located at 16 West 9th Street in Shawnee. If you choose to come into City Hall, you can print and complete a Residential or Commercial application and bring it with you. You also need to bring with you a copy of your deed (if you own the home) or a copy of the lease (if you are renting/leasing), and picture identification and deposit amount.
For same day service, a completed application must be in our office no later than 2:30 p.m. All efforts will be made to provide same day service; however, scheduling is on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications received after 2:30 p.m. will be scheduled for turn-on the next business day. Please be in the office by 4:00 p.m. to begin the application process for new service.
Do you accept applications to start water/wastewater/sanitation service by email?
We are now accepting applications via email to establish water/sewer/sanitation service. The following steps and documents are required to ensure that Customer Service receives all of the necessary information to establish service.
- Subject line – NEW APPLICATION/SERVICE (Residential or Commercial) and address, i.e., Subject: NEW APPLICATION/SERVICE – 16 West 9th Street
- Documents to Email:
(2) Copy of deed or lease to property
(3) Copy of picture identification (must be legible)
- In the body of the email, include the name of the occupant and a good telephone number to contact, along with the full name and date of birth of all occupants listed on lease.
- A Customer Service Clerk will contact the applicant via telephone within 1 hour of receipt of the email during regular business hours to collect the deposits and processing fee, along with any outstanding balances over the telephone. Any deposits, fees and outstanding balances must be collected before service can be established. A time to turn-on service will be scheduled after payment is received. If receipt of the email is after 2:00 pm, service will be started the following business day. If receipt of the email is after 4:00 pm, Customer Service will call the next business day. If Customer Service does not speak with anyone, service cannot be established and the applicant will be required to contact Customer Service. If you do not hear from Customer Service within 1 hour during regular business hours, please call 405-878-1560.
Where are you located and what are your office hours?
Utility Billing Customer Service is located at 16 West 9th Street in City Hall. It is on the corner of 9th Street and Broadway Avenue. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for holidays. Our telephone number is 405-878-1560.
Are deposits required for Water, Wastewater and/or Sanitation Services?
Yes, effective February 1, 2019, residential customers must provide a deposit of $75, together with a $25 processing fee. There is an additional $25 deposit for trash service for residential customers. The total amount required to begin water/wastewater and sanitation services is $125. Any outstanding prior bill must also be paid at the time of initiation of service. A double deposit will be required if a prior account finalized for non-payment.
Commercial deposits vary depending upon the type of business and projected water/wastewater usage projections. Contact customer service at 405-878-1560 for more information on commercial deposits.
Do I have to be home when water service is turned on?
Yes, someone is required to be present and have access to the residence when water service is turned on. This is for the protection of the property if a faucet is accidently left on or in the event of a water pipe leak/break. Upon completion of the application process for water service, a two-hour window of time will be established for the scheduled turn-on. In the event someone is not present at the residence, the water service will not be turned on and a fee of $25 will be assessed to the account as a return service fee. Should that occur, please contact the Utility Billing Customer Service to schedule a new turn-on time at 405-878-1560.
I am moving from my current Shawnee address to another Shawnee address. Can I transfer my service?
Yes. You can call Customer Service at 405-878-1560 or come into City Hall at 16 West 9th Street to transfer service. There will be a $25 transfer of service fee that will assessed to your new account. Any past due amount will be required to be paid before the transfer is set up. You may be required to provide a copy of the new address' deed or lease. If you are turning water off at the current address within 10 days, your deposit will transfer to the new address. If you want to keep the water utility services on at both locations more than 10 days, a separate deposit will be required for the new address.
Can I pay my utility bill online?
Yes, the City of Shawnee offers online utility payments through our online payment site at https://www.municipalonlinepayments.com/shawneeok. There are no convenience fees assessed to online payments.
What are the different options to pay my water bill?
We offer several different options to pay your water bill. You can choose to pay your bill by any of the options listed:
(1) By completing and returning the Authorization for Automatic Bill Payment, which will automatically deduct your water bill from your designated account on the due date (you will still receive a bill in the mail that will verify the due date and amount of the payment);
(2) In person at the Utility Billing Customer Service window at 16 West 9th Street;
(3) By putting a check or money order (no cash) made payable to the City of Shawnee in the night drop located on the north side of City Hall in the old drive-thru lane (payment envelopes are provided);
(4) Mail your payment (check or money order only, no cash) made payable to the City of Shawnee to Post Office Box 1448, Shawnee, Oklahoma 74802-1448;
(5) Pay online with the option of immediate payment, future scheduled payment or auto pay enrollment (no service fee assessed if paid online);
(6) The kiosks located at Homeland Stores at Independence and Kickapoo OR Harrison and MacArthur, or Tag Agency of Shawnee at 301 West Highland (there is a fee charge at the kiosks); and
(7) Call Utility Billing Customer Service at 405-878-1560 to pay by credit card (VISA and Mastercard) (no service fee assessed).
Is there a penalty charged if my bill is paid after the due date?
Yes, if a bill is not paid on or before the due date, a 10% penalty is applied to the bill amount with a minimum of $1.25 being applied.
What happens if I do not pay my utility bill?
If you do not pay your utility bill by the due date, a 10% penalty is applied to the bill amount with a minimum of $1.25 being applied. If your utility bill meets or exceeds the cutoff amount, a cutoff notice will mailed and a $5 cutoff notice fee will be assessed to the account. If you do not pay your bill prior to the cutoff date, a $50 administration fee will be assessed to your account and your water service may be cutoff without further notice. If you are having problems paying your bill, please call Utility Billing Customer Service at 405-878-1560 to discuss payment options.
Who do I call for water/wastewater emergencies after hours or weekends?
Between the hours of 4:30 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Monday through Friday and on weekends, the number for water/wastewater emergencies is 405-273-0890.
Who do I call for sanitation/garbage service questions or problems?
The City of Shawnee contracts with Central Disposal for all residential sanitation/garbage service. For questions regarding garbage pickup schedules, bulk waste pickup days, recyclable items or to address any problems concerning your garbage service, please call Central Disposal at 405-275-0900.
For questions regarding your sanitation/garbage service bill or to order an additional polycart or recycling bin, please call Utility Billing Customer Service at 405-878-1560.
How do I utilize the City's transfer station?
A City of Shawnee water customer may use the transfer station once per month. It is located on 45th Street between Union Avenue and Harrison Street. Customers must bring a current month's water bill and picture identification with them. You are limited to a level pickup bed load. This is limited to household items only. Please call Central Disposal Transfer Station for additional information regarding what items can or cannot be accepted at 405-275-5854.