JOB TITLE: Telecommunicator I
PAY RANGE: Grade 16, starting at $17.09/hour
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Dispatch Supervisor
REVISED: September 15, 2017
JOB SUMMARY: A non-exempt position that is responsible for providing professional, quality service to citizens and users in providing emergency and non-emergency communication services by receiving complaints and requests for services from citizens and public safety personnel and providing pre-arrival instructions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Accurately, quickly and courteously receive incoming emergency and non-emergency telephone calls and extract the maximum amount of essential information in a minimum amount of time.
- Accurately and quickly utilize computer-aided dispatch system facilities for complaint taking and coordination of public safety incidents.
- Provide emergency medical, fire, and police pre-arrival instructions according to policy.
- Serve as an information resource to general public. Locate requested information through additional sources.
- Participate in job-related training sessions and seminars.
- Observe field operations of public safety response units.
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance; attend required staff meetings.
- Maintain knowledge of police, fire and medical service procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Maintain a clear background check.
- Must be able to handle material with confidentiality.
- Must be able to multi-task and handle safety issues in a time sensitive manner.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma driver’s license and maintain driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
- Must pass a complete background check.
- Must be able to type proficiently, index, file and perform other clerical functions.
- Skills in professional written and oral communication
- Must be able to work multiple computer programs.
- Must be able to communicate with public and emergency responders effectively in all emergency situations.
- Must be able to calm irate or frantic callers to obtain pertinent information.
- Must be able to maintain patience and a cool head.
- Must be able to follow the Police Department’s chain of command.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Most of the work is performed indoors in isolated area.
- Must be able to work under stressful situations.
- Must agree to wear uniform provided and follow the Communications Division uniform policy.
- Must be willing to work different hours, rotating shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Employee works in an office environment and uses a desk top computer, fax, copier, and other electronic devices.
- Employee is sometimes required to work outside in both normal and abnormal weather conditions as required.
- Employee is occasionally required to bend, stoop and twist when maintaining files.
- Employee may be required to walk up and down stairs.
- Some lifting is required, usually up to at least 25 pounds.
- Must be able to adhere to Shawnee Communications Center and City of Shawnee Policies.
Can you perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodations? Yes_____ No_____
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled