Connections between community organizations leads to new ideas, resources, and ways of thinking that can make Shawnee a better place. These partnerships represent the needs and interests of the community, make the work easier, ensure transparency, accountability, and ethics, and are more impactful and effective. Partnership is The Key to success by ensuring broad participation among community stakeholders and aligning goals, strategies, and tactics.
Homelessness in Shawnee Roundtable
This group is comprised of more than 40 organizations that are unified in working on homelessness in Shawnee. The Roundtable takes a collaborative, structural, and strategic approach to homelessness. Working together, this group can envision, develop, and implement solutions for the needs of people experiencing homelessness, such as veterans, youth, survivors of domestic violence, and people struggling with mental illness, substance abuse, and HIV/AIDS. This also helps decrease redundant services and is a more effective way to combat homelessness.
Homeless Resource Center (HRC) Partners
Many organizations and individuals have partnered with the City to offer services at the Homeless Resource Center. Some partners include:
- Pottawatomie County Health Department, bringing their mobile clinic to the HRC twice a month.
- Frontline Church, providing identity services (birth certificates, social security cards, ID/driver's license).
- Free Spirit Hair Design, providing haircuts twice a month.
- Once monthly meals provided by:
- University Baptist Church
- Friends Feast
- Shawnee Public Library, donated computers to the HRC.
- DHS, offering all of their services at the HRC.
- Six11 Ministries, offering counseling services.
- Red Rock Behavioral Health, onsite mental health services.
Several organizations are a part of our referral system, including:
- Wesley United Methodist Church, clothing ministry.
- St. Paul's United Methodist Church, mailbox ministry.
- Frontline Church, identity services.
- Community Health Center, medical services.
- Red Rock Behavioral Health, mental health services.
- CREOKS, mental health services.
- Salvation Army, shelter.
- C3 Church, warming station and rehab services.
- Gateway to Prevention, addiction services.