An opportunity to do things differently
The diagnostic report for the unified development code is ready for public review. The consultant will be presenting the diagnostic report at the September 19, 2022 City Commission meeting. You can review the document here.
The process to create a new development code for the City of Shawnee has begun!
The new Unified Development Code will establish new zoning parameters, a subdivision process, and incorporate updated sign and landscaping standards. The city is working with the consulting firm of Freese & Nichols to develop the new code, and will begin meeting with community stakeholders to solicit input about how individuals desire to have these new code reflect the community.
Why is the City of Shawnee creating a new development code?
1) To help increase the housing stock in the community. Shawnee needs to increase the amount and types of housing, so it is affordable for all residents.
2) To promote economic vitality. Shawnee needs to continue to draw new businesses while retaining the existing retail and manufacturing
3) To increase connectivity across the city for cars, bikes, and pedestrians.
4) To provide clarity for both property owners and developers.
5) To create ways that manage resources better, including taxpayer dollars.
Please provide your input during one of the Town Hall meetings taking place on the following dates:
June 9-16, 2022 - Virtual Town Hall (via project website)
June 16, 2022 – City Hall, Commission Chambers, 5:30 pm
The in-person meeting will include a presentation about the Unified Development Code (UDC) process. The community is encouraged to participate in activities to provide feedback and direction to help guide development of the UDC. The virtual town hall will provide residents an opportunity to share ideas and note areas of concern.
You can also provide your thoughts using the project website Shawnee UDC Home | Social Pinpoint (mysocialpinpoint.com)
To learn more about this project, or to become more involved, contact Rian Harkins, Community Development Director, at 405-878-1665 or firstname.lastname@example.org.