What Information Does FEMA Need When I Apply for Disaster Assistance?
FEMA Fact Sheet, April 27, 2023 - It can be intimidating to fill out a government form to get help when you have been through so much. Knowing what you will be asked on the FEMA application and what information you need to have at hand can help you feel ready.
Preparing for the FEMA application
- The FEMA application asks many questions for which you will readily have the answers . These are things like your name, home address and the names and relationship of people you live with.
- You will need to gather some required information ahead of time, such as the applicant’s Social Security number as well the Social Security numbers of any co-applicants.
- If your home was damaged and you are staying temporarily at a friend’s home, a hotel or somewhere else, be sure you know the address where you are staying and what the phone number is.
- When asked for your “damaged phone number,” give the phone number you used at the time your home was damaged, even if the number is no longer working.
- FEMA asks you about damage to your house and to your essential personal property. Personal property is anything that isn’t part of the building, so it includes appliances, clothing, furniture and other essential
- If you or anyone in your household use any type of device to help you with your daily life, such as a wheelchair, walker, cane, hearing aid or communication device, please pay attention to questions about your disabilities. It could also be a service animal, personal care attendant, CPAP, oxygen concentrators or any other similar medical devices or services that assist with disabilities or activities of daily If someone in your family uses any of these items, be sure to mark “yes” for these questions.
- If you don’t understand something when applying online, you can click “Help for this page” on the top left side of the form for more helpful information.
Uploading Receipts and Other Documents
STEPS TO UPLOAD DOCUMENTS ONLINE
- Step 1: Visit DisasterAssistance.gov
- Step 2: Select Check Status
- Step 3: Login or create your online account
- Step 4: Select the Correspondence tab
- Step 5: Select Upload Center
- Step 6: Follow the online instructions
FOUR THINGS TO INCLUDE ON ALL DOCUMENTS
- Last four digits of your Social Security number
- FEMA Application Number (your unique 9-digit number)
- FEMA Disaster Number: DR-4706-OK
When the information is received, it is manually scanned into your file. This creates a work packet that starts the review of your request. An assistance specialist will review all the facts in your file and make a determination. This process can take several weeks.
How to Apply
- The fastest and easiest way to apply for assistance is by visiting DisasterAssistance.gov.
- If it is not possible to apply online, call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone lines operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT seven days a week. If you use a relay service, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA your number for that service.
# # #
For the latest information visit fema.gov/disaster/4706. Follow the FEMA Region 6 Twitter account at twitter.com/FEMARegion6 or on Facebook at facebook.com/FEMARegion6/.
Please click here for (Spanish).