Citizen and Business Information

Home  Shawnee Recovery Fund  Citizen and Business Information

Citizen and Business Information

Disaster Recovery for Residents
1residentsThe Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has opened a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) at South Central Industries, 130 N Louisa, Shawnee. For those impacted by the April 19 storm, the DRC is open Mondays - Fridays, 8 am - 8 pm - and on weekends as needed - to help with temporary housing expenses, basic home repairs, or other essential disaster-related needs that are not covered by insurance. Residents unable to visit the DRC may apply online at or call (800) 621-3362.

2small businessThe U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also has low-interest disaster loans for homeowners and renters.

  • Homeowners may apply for up to $200,000 to replace or repair their primary residence. In some cases, SBA can refinance all or part of a previous mortgage when the applicant does not have credit available elsewhere and has suffered substantial disaster damage not covered by insurance.

  • Renters and homeowners may borrow up to $40,000 to replace or repair personal property - such as clothing, furniture, cars and appliances - damaged or destroyed in the disaster.

Disaster Recovery for Businesses

3businessThe U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and the Oklahoma Small Business Development Center have opened an SBA Business Recovery Center (BRC) at Shawnee Forward, 231 N Bell Ave, Shawnee. For those impacted by the April 19 storm, the BRC is open Mondays - Fridays, 9 am - 6 pm and Saturdays, 9 am - 1 pm to help small business owners re-establish their operations, overcome the effects of the disaster, and plan for their future. Business owners unable to visit the BRC may apply online at

  • For businesses and most private nonprofit organizations, SBA offers Business Physical Disaster Loans up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets. These loans cover losses that are not fully covered by insurance or other recoveries.

  • Also available are Economic Injury Disaster Loans up to $2 million to help meet financial obligations and operating expenses that could have been met had the disaster not occurred.

Volunteer Assistance

4volunteerCommunity Renewal of Pottawatomie County has offered to connect individuals or groups interested in assisting with the disaster recovery and clean-up effort with those individuals and families who may need a helping hand. To volunteer OR to request volunteer help, visit

Unemployment Benefits and Training

5unemploymentIndividuals who are unemployed because of the disaster can apply for unemployment assistance at Oklahoma Works, 2 John C. Bruton, Shawnee. Oklahoma Works is located on the east side of the Gordon Cooper Technology Center main campus.  Individuals that do not have enough quarters paid into Unemployment Insurance (UI) have the option to apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA).  Anyone who receives UI or DUA, and also needs assistance with employment or training, should apply at or speak to someone at Oklahoma Works.

Debris Removal

6debrisremovalOpen from 7am - 7pm, a vegetation-only storm debris drop-off area will be available for Shawnee residents at the Public Works yard at 111 S. Kickapoo, Shawnee. Debris monitors at the site will be enforcing vegetation restrictions. Shawnee citizens must show their current City utility bill and ID to access the drop-off area.

The City has also retained the services of a contractor to assist with the removal of storm related debris. No less than three City-wide sweeps for debris will be made. Citizens have been asked to sort their debris and place it curbside. For more on debris removal and other storm related information, visit the City website at

Insurance Assistance.

The Oklahoma Insurance Department is available to help with any insurance issues. A unit has been deployed to Shawnee to help with claims. Call (800) 522-0071 or visit for assistance.

Legal Matter Assistance

8legalLegal Aid Services of Oklahoma is available to assist with legal concerns including landlord/tenant issues, domestic violence issues, contractor issues, etc. Call (888) 602-8494 or visit

Price Stabilization

Oklahoma’s Emergency Price Stabilization Act prohibits a price increase of more than 10% for goods or services after a declared emergency. The Act allows the Attorney General (AG) to pursue charges against individuals or businesses that engage in price gouging. To report a complaint, call the AG’s Consumer Protection Unit at (833) 681-1895.

Mental Health Care

Crisis Care Ministries reminds disaster survivors to reach out for assistance to the mental health crisis line at 988.

State of Oklahoma Resource List

The Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management has compiled a list of disaster recovery resources for citizens. Please check

recovery thumbnail Consider Supporting Emergency Assistance for Unmet Needs.
Donate at

For questions, please contact the City of Shawnee - City Manager’s Office, at (405) 878-1601.